AUSSIES CALL 1300 135 331
KIWIS CALL 0800 440 079


  1. What does 'Au Pair' mean?
  2. Can I extend my program?
  3. Can I Study while I am overseas?
  4. How much childcare experience do I need?
  5. I do not have my driver's licence yet. Can I still apply?
  6. Will I get to travel?
**** These questions are not right for me. I'd like to ask another question! ****
Simply click on the e-mail link in the box above to ask us the question which is important to you or tweet us @ aupair_programs. We will get back to your question as soon as possible and, if appropriate, publish it on this web page.

 What does 'Au Pair' mean?
The word ‘Au Pair’ is a French term translating as ‘on par’ or ‘equal to’. As an Au Pair you are welcomed into a French family’s home to live as a member of their family, helping them to care for their children while at the same time immersing yourself in a new culture.

 Can I extend my program?
Yes, you and your host family have the option to continue the program together for up to 18 months.

 Can I study while I am overseas?
Yes! As part of the Au Pair program you may formally study for a set number of hours.

 How much childcare experience do I need?
You should have at least 200 hours of recent child care experience before your departure. The more experience you have, the more confident you will be and the better the chances of you being accepted. Child care experience is the top priority for our host families when selecting their Au Pair. We therefore recommend that you get as much experience as possible before you leave.

 I do not have my driver's licence yet. Can I still apply?
It is a requirement of the program that all Au Pairs hold a valid drivers licence. Therefore we cannot accept your application until such time as you have taken and passed your driving test. For safety reasons it is essential you are an experienced, responsible driver and will feel comfortable driving in France.

 Will I get to travel?
Yes. You will have free time to travel on some weekends and you will earn up to two weeks holiday. You may even be allowed to stay in the country for an extra 3 months depending on your visa status.