Benefits & Eligibility
The experience can be beneficial in many different ways:
- Flexible program lengths: 6 to 12 months.
- Earn Euros which you can use to travel around the country during holidays and at the end of your program.
- Receive orientation soon after arrival in Germany and further support during your stay.
- Gain a secure base from which to see Germany and other parts of Europe.
- Have the option to extend your program if all goes well.
- Get to know how others live and come to see the world from another perspective.
- Test yourself and acquire independence and maturity.
- Make new friends and appreciate old ones even more.
- Gain experience and judgement.
Becoming an Au Pair gives you more than knowledge about Germany, its language and culture. A year abroad teaches you about building friendships, taking responsibility for yourself, respecting differences and tolerating the beliefs of others.
You may be accepted if you:
- Are between 18 and 24 years of age.
- A citizen of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States.
- Enjoy children aged 3 months to 12 years, and have previous experience in caring for children (babysitting, caring for younger family members or working with youth organisations). You’ll need a minimum of two childcare references from non-family members plus one personal reference.
- Au Pairs must have 200 hours of document experience with children under the age of two in order to be placed with a family who has a child under the age of two.
- Successfully pass a selection interview.
- Enjoy helping children grow and develop, and are willing to enrich the lives of your host family by sharing your culture and traditions.
- Are a responsible person who is willing to make a 6 – 12 month commitment to experience German culture by living as a member of a German family, and providing up to 30 - 40 hours of child care assistance each week.
- Have completed at least the educational equivalent of high school i.e. have finished year 12 in Australia, or year 13 in New Zealand
- Are a native English speaker.
- Are in good physical and mental health.
- Are energetic and enthusiastic.
- Have no criminal record.
- Agree to follow AuPairCare Germany program rules.
- Are a licensed driver (preferred but not required. Not all host families provide cars).
- Be a non-smoker (preferred but not required).
- Have an Australian or New Zealand passport valid for 6 months after your return date.
- Complete a pre-departure orientation project (more info available from our staff).